How do you help bring about gender equality in our society?
1. Be more aware and sensitive to gender inequality
- Why does the media always portray women as sex objects--whether it be an advertisement for a burger or a car?
- Why does the media always cast women who are young and beautiful? What happened to the older women?
- The presence of violent video games that objectify women and girls. Why do they exist? Is there such big demand?
- The double standards women hold, when they are mocked for being both "a prude" and "a slut"
- Why are there so many derogatory words to describe women and girls, but never men?
- The stereotypes existing in our society—men have to always be strong, women are weaker than men in sports and aren't as smart
- The lack of female role models in STEM, business, politics as opposed to male role models
- Comparing and contrasting what a certain decision would look like if made by a woman role model, as opposed to a male role model
This is not an exhaustive list! Once one begins noticing the subtleties of gender inequality (in even the most affluent of communities), it becomes easier to address these issues
2. Make goals on how you want to help on a broader scale
- Research causes that you want to learn more about
- Find out how you want to help women and girls—by increasing education levels? by ending child marriage? by petitioning lawmakers to change laws to mandate inclusion? by having women's pride activities? By helping women attain decision-making power? by helping girls join non-traditional jobs? by protecting women against violence?
- Rally your community's support to make your effort stronger and more effective